Tuesday, April 7, 2015

My Personal Learning Network Experience



The RSS feed that I chose to explore was through the Feedly tool. I subscribed to a number of different feeds so that I could read up on more events and issues going on in education with a wide range of variety. A few that I enjoyed the most were Free Technology for Teachers, Cool Cat Teacher Blog, Edudemic, TED Education, and Edutopia RSS. I really like the TED Education feed of videos. These are fun little videos that are interesting for students and can take a topic like bad breath and make it somewhat fun to learn about. I also really liked Edudemic because it had a number of articles that were on a variety of subjects. It didn’t just focus on teaching or just the students, but it also had articles on tips and tricks in the classroom and news in education. One article that I really liked was about teachers allying with parents. It definitely is true that as a teacher I will be dealing with students and their parents, so it is smart to communicate effectively with parents.  I really liked some of the articles and podcasts I found on Cool Cat Teacher Blog because they were very insightful and got you thinking. One article was about the need to teach according to the time, and to provide students with the technology and creativity to learn and not be controlled by the fear of failure. I thought Feedly was a great tool. It organized all my RSS feeds on one page and I could see how many articles had been posted by scrolling through my home page. I found many of the feeds by searching education, or by clicking on suggested feeds. It was easy and straight forward to use. I will probably use this tool while I teach to keep updated on news and to keep my classroom and lessons relevant for the students.
            You can find me on Twitter at @kendylleann6. I followed a total of 18 people/groups.  I followed We Are Teachers for inspiration and ideas for becoming a teacher. I followed a first grade teacher named Kathy Cassidy because I wanted to see the way a teacher was using Twitter along with her elementary classroom. I also followed Education Week to stay updated on things that were going on in the news that were centered around education. I learned that not very many children have access to preschool and that many teachers aren’t giving students that test their knowledge appropriately.  I followed discussion hashtags #education, #edtech, #teaching, and #teachers. From these I was able to read many interesting articles and to get new perspectives on teaching and educational issues that I would never have thought of on my own. Although I like following some teachers and groups on Twitter, I do not see myself really using Twitter in my classroom. I enjoyed seeing posts of other teachers’ projects on here though.
            I requested to explore both Ning groups, but I was admitted to Classroom 2.0 much faster than The Educator’s PLN so I started exploring that one. Classroom 2.0 is basically an area where you can find many helpful resources on how to incorporate technology into the classroom and have discussions with other educators. One discussion forum that I followed was about the use of interactive white boards in the classroom. Many teachers suggested to start out small by having students write down their lunches, and then move to bigger projects on the board. I really enjoyed using Ning because it opened me up to many new ideas that I could see myself using in my class.
            Overall, I think I learned a lot of great things by using these different networks. I found Feedly and Ning to be very helpful as a teacher, while not seeing how I would use Twitter in my classroom. I think Ning has a lot of resources to offer. Once you get over the amount of information shown on the homepage of Classroom 2.0, there is a lot to look through and use in a classroom.  I liked the organization of Feedly. I thought it was very easy to use, not intimidating at all, and it was clear on how to get from page to page and view articles and videos. I liked Twitter for viewing other people’s projects that they had done in classrooms, but I thought it would be hard to go back and find something that you thought was interesting later on. Like many other social networks, you also have to scroll through a lot of unwanted feed in Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment